Are you an experienced developer looking to break in to or further your career in VR? Then you might be the candidate we’re looking for.
We are nDreams, the UK’s largest developer and publisher solely focused on creating virtual reality (VR) games and experiences. We’re currently looking to expand our Development team; we want to ensure that our range of upcoming releases are the huge commercial successes we know they can be. This is your opportunity to join our friendly and talented team, working on high-end (Vive, Oculus, PS VR) and mobile (Gear VR, Daydream) VR projects.
We’re looking to hire a Gameplay Programmer who has passion, honesty, and the desire to achieve great things, with proven experience of work on character animation and locomotion.
The Gameplay Programmer will report to the Code Manager.
- • The role of Gameplay Programmer is that of fulfilling the gameplay elements with code support, but also with gameplay and feel insight.
- • The Gameplay Programmer develops compelling gameplay features in line with Design’s requirements.
- • The Gameplay Programmer together with the code team, is responsible for the technical excellence of the final product.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
You will be an experienced gameplay programmer with a record of attributed quality gameplay experiences:
- • You will take responsibility for the implementation of gameplay features, will help designers explore the gameplay space both literally and through discussion, and will work with designers to implement their systems as they intended.
- • You will be able to bring to life game characters through gluing together gameplay technologies such as character animations, movement and input, events and audio timing, simple physics and collision systems, camera control and cut scene integration.
- • You should have very strong gameplay criticism skills, strong understanding of gameplay coding techniques, and have professional experience with many different interaction mechanics and devices.
- • You should be highly aware of game genres, and have a practical understanding of how they work with, complement, and affect, the user experience.
- • You will have strong skills in gameplay criticism and metrics analysis, and as such, will be given the autonomy and responsibility to implement a new gameplay features with little to no supervision.
Day-To-Day Actions & Activities
The Gameplay Programmer is the core technical game developer. Day to day actions and activities will include:
- • Implementing gameplay moments in line with team deliverables.
- • Working with design to achieve frictionless and intuitive gameplay.
- • Keeping up to date with the latest gameplay techniques.
- • Working with Production and the team to provide up to date progress and estimations on remaining work.
- • Working with the Code Manager and Design Manager on future gameplay strategies to support new game genres or input methods or hardware.
- • Engaging with and listening to project team members to gain understanding of needs.
Key Skills & Experience
- • Strong Unity 5 skills, with proven record of working beyond spec and being proactive productive member of the shipping team.
- • Experience working with other departments to ensure deliverables match expectation.
- • Experience working with Design to implement gameplay features such as locomotion, combat, and interaction.
- • Experience working with Art to create believable characters with consistent style and dynamics.
- • Experience working cross-team to implement behaviour and animation of characters and environments.
- • Experience in training others.
- • Work well as part of a team, good cross discipline communication and people skills are essential.
- • Understand many gameplay technologies such as Navigation, AI, Input, Animation, Physics systems, Scripting layers, UI, etc.
- • Self-critical, and able to work through a design issue without direction if necessary.
- • Experience of game development across multiple genres.
- • Unity3D
- • Strong knowledge C#.
- • Experience improving the performance of games through optimisation.
- • Enthusiasm for VR.
Communication, Innovation, Proactivity, Observation, Exploration
Salary & Contract
- • Dependent on experience.
- • Full time, permanent contract.
- • Farnborough, Hampshire, UK.
- • Pension scheme.
- • Share Option scheme.
- • Childcare vouchers.
- • 20 days holiday per year, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 25 days (+ bank holidays & your birthday).
- • Regular staff outings and social events.