Are you an experienced developer looking to break in to or further your career in VR? Then you might be the candidate we’re looking for.
We are nDreams, the UK’s largest developer and publisher solely focused on creating virtual reality (VR) games and experiences. We’re currently looking to expand our Development team; we want to ensure that our range of upcoming releases are the huge commercial successes we know they can be. This is your opportunity to join our friendly and talented team, working on high-end (Vive, Oculus, PS VR) and mobile (Gear VR, Daydream) VR projects.
We’re looking to hire a Tools Programmer who has passion, honesty, and the desire to achieve great things, with proven experience in this area. The Tools Programmer will report to the Code Manager.
- • The role of Tools Programmer is that of supporting non-technical staff by the creation of bespoke tools.
- • The Tools Programmer develops tools in line with project requirements.
- • The Tools Programmer, together with the Code Team, is responsible for the technical excellence of our products.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
You will be an experienced Tools Programmer with a record of creating usable and effective tools:
- • You will take responsibility for the implementation of new in-house tools and the maintenance or upgrading of existing tools.
- • You will help non-technical staff use in-house tools effectively through direct teaching, high quality documentation, and through modification and improvement of the tools.
- • You will be strong in tooling languages such as C# and Python
- • You will have extensive knowledge of UI frameworks ) such as wx, Gtk, GDI, WPF, html, css, Unity) dependent on tool approach.
- • You will be strong in operating system scripting languages, such as DOS Batch, bash, sh.
- • You should have demonstrably strong skills in user experience and usability design.
- • You will be able to create communication tools, art and design pipeline solutions, and be able to influence the design and implementation of in game elements that fall into the category of tool like interfaces for players.
- • You should have very deep knowledge of software design principles, and have created a number of effective in-house tools, and in return, you will be given the autonomy and responsibility to design and create new tools with little to no supervision.
- • You should have very strong communications skills and be able to work with all members of the teams in order to create effective tools.
Day-To-Day Actions & Activities
The Tools Programmer is the core support developer. Day to day actions and activities will include:
- • Implementing and maintaining tool features in line with project deliverables.
- • Working with all departments to document tool features and best practices with using in-house tools.
- • Keeping up to date with the latest user experience and usability study techniques.
- • Working with Production and the team to find where tools can provide extra efficiency on remaining work.
- • Working with the Code Manager on strategies to support new projects.
- • Work with the Build Manager to ensure the builds are smooth, reproducible, regular, and performance tests are accurate.
- • Engaging with and analysing project teams tool usage to gain understanding of needs.
Key Skills & Experience
- • Strong Unity 5 skills, with proven record of working beyond spec and being proactive productive member of the development team.
- • Experience working with Design and Art to implement bespoke tools to reduce iteration time on asset sign off.
- • Experience working cross-team to implement tools to facilitate office productivity.
- • Experience improving the performance of games through visualisation of available data.
- • Work well as part of a team, good cross discipline communication and people skills are essential.
- • Understand many tools development aspects such as UI, User experience, Operating systems, Scripting languages, Human computer interaction, Low maintenance cost development approaches, and documentation techniques.
- • Self-critical, and able to work through a tool requirement without direction if necessary.
- • Unity3D
- • Strong knowledge C# / C++
- • Enthusiasm for VR.
Communication, Innovation, Proactivity, Observation, Exploration
Salary & Contract
- • Dependent on experience.
- • Full time, permanent contract.
- • Farnborough, Hampshire, UK.
- • Pension scheme.
- • Share Option scheme.
- • Childcare vouchers.
- • 20 days holiday per year, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 25 days (+ bank holidays & your birthday).
- • Regular staff outings and social events.